[AT] Preachers and Dynamite?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:58:19 PDT 2011

Yep but that combination is sure to bring the FBI around these days.  That
is what they use at the rock quarry here but of course it is all carefully
monitored.  When I was a kid and up to I guess 20 years ago there was a
country store about 15 miles from our farm.  You could just walk in there
and ask tell the store keeper how much dynamite you wanted and he'd go out
to the explosive storage shed and bring back what you ordered.  I went to
high school with a kid who's father was a Chevrolet dealer and a state
Representative.  His grandmother bought him a case of dynamite for Christmas
every year and he set it off like the rest of us did firecrackers.
Firecrackers were then and still are illegal in NC but apparently there was
no problem with dynamite.

I have one more dynamite story.   I grew up in a town of about 900 people.
Every year when I was a kid in the 50's a Gypsy clan would come through town
and they always camped in the same field.
I remember seeing them from a distance but my folks wouldn't let me get to
close to them.  I guess they were afraid I'd get stolen.  LOL.  Anyway, one
year in the late 50's some teenage and early 20's guys in the neighborhood
slipped out into the edge of the field where the gypsy camp was set up and
put a whole case of dynamite up in the fork of a big tree, stuck a long fuse
in it and took off.
When it went off it blew windows out of houses for miles around and the
Gypsy clan never came back to town again.  Oh,  the tree didn't survive.

Charlie