[AT] TD-14 worth

Richard Walker rick427 at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 15 17:09:01 PDT 2011

Sadly, your TD-14 may be worth more for scrap than any potential user
would pay for it, especially since it seems to have some repair issues.
A story that is unfortunately repeating itself many times lately, where
old tractors are heading to China rather than to a collector or
part-time user, all because the seller gets more money that way.

Highest price is when you haul the iron to a scrap yard yourself.  Here
in CA, I've heard delivered scrap iron prices are $300 a ton or higher
now.  You've got 9 to 11 tons of iron in your TD-14 and blade, and even
if the scrapper picks it up (lower price paid of course), it should be
worth $200 a ton or higher.

Like you, I am also suspicious of the "church" angle.  Probably a few
phone calls to scrap yards would nail down a ballpark price for the
dozer.  Then you would have a baseline to go up from if you want to
market it as a usable dozer.

At the Brooks show in Oregon this year, a large auction benefiting the
on-site Antique Caterpillar Museum was held.  30 or 40 old crawlers were
in the auction and after the dust settled, a scrapper had bought some of
the tractors, to the dismay of many crawler collectors in the crowd, who
couldn't realistically match prices with the current scrap market.

-  Richard