[Farmall] Need Expert Opinion

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 10:33:45 PDT 2011

If "an external resistor that was in "parallel"  with the coil, not in
series", and it is really a ballast resistor, it only proves one thing.
Whoever wired it was an idiot.  Ignore everything you found on the tractor.

As far as I know, a 6-volt coil is a 6-volt coil, period exclamation point,
period.  None that I am aware of used a ballast resistor.  If one did, it
would be an even more unusual combination that nobody has parts for so you
can ignore it.  The labeling on your new 6-volt coil was probably added
because too many "thought they knew what they were doing" mechanics thought
all ignition systems needed a ballast resistor.  Probably the same ones that
think all systems are negative ground and put batteries in backwards.

If you told the NAPA guys it was a 6-volt ignition system and did not make
it clear to them that you were using a 12-volt battery, they would have
assumed you were using a 6-volt battery.  Of so, what they told you was
correct.  They probably think you are working on what I called combination A
while you are evidently trying to put together combination CC.  What you
need to to is ignore and forget everything you found in the existing wiring.
Hook it up the way I said in the last message.

This kind of mess is why I usually refuse to answer any questions related to
a 12-volt conversion.  Who knows what may have been done in the past.  The
mess usually can't be untangled unless you are looking at it in person.  If
the guy that converted it knew what he was doing, he could have fixed
whatever way wrong with the 6-volt system in the first place.  Doubling the
voltage everything is operating on can mask an assortment of problems but
rarely makes them go away.

Jim Becker