[AT] in cab refrigerators?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Mon Oct 10 19:13:00 PDT 2011

    John;

    I have lost track of all my earlier pictures. If they are still around,
my son in Michigan will have them. He got all the family photos when their
mother died. I will look through the few I have and see if I have any, but
not likely.

    As for the custom built tractors, one had a 325 HP Cummins and the other
had a 350 HP Detroit engine. Used transmissions from semi trucks and used
Rockwell 5 ton military axles. Don't recall if it was articulated or had
front and rear crab steering like 4wd Case tractors. Recognized the axles as
I had assembled a lot of them working at rockwell. Wish I could remember
where they were used, it was either Montana or North Dakota.

    The double articulated Steiger was an interesting tractor. I was able to
visit with the factory man for a while and sat in the cab and actually
started the engines. Wouldn't let me drive it though.

    Many big tractors there from the big valley farming operations in
California, including early creations from Holt and Best. Very impressive
tracked vehicles. Also very large wheeled tractors up to over 100 HP from
the teen years.

    A few other exhibits was a 40 horse hitch, Borax 20 mule team and
Budweiser Clydesdales. Also field demos of corn shelling and picking,
soybean combining and sugar beet lifting. Also all means of soil tillage.

    Sure would be nice to go back to this show now. My purpose on this trip
was as a chaperone for my son's FFA bus tour.

    Tried a Google search for Farmfest 76, but only got hits for Schells
Farmfest 76 beer.

                    Gene