[AT] in cab refrigerators?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 10 11:59:57 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 11:55 AM, charlie hill wrote:
> Alan our Allis exhaust was of course straight out the top.   A flame about
> 12 to 14 inches would glow out the top and shine against the early evening
> dark after a long day of running hard.
> I've seen the exhaust glow on the belly mufflers on Fordson and MF tractors.
> In fact I've seen them burn the weeds a few times.   Good memories!
>
> Charlie
I guess the old Cockshutts ran cooler. I can't recall ever seeing
glowing exhausts on them except for one time. I had put an old oval car
muffler onto the 40 as the original had rusted out. While working at
night harrowing I can recall seeing a round red spot on the top side of
that oval muffler (I was standing up) and it indicated just where the
end of the inside baffle pipe was on the muffler. I guess the increased
back pressure of a car muffler was enough to heat things up. This was 40
years ago.
Now I have seen a red hot exhaust manifold on a swather engine.  The
slant six Chrysler on the Massey swather would glow like a piece of iron
fresh out of the forge some evenings when I came in from work. Funny,
with all the cracks in that manifold you'd think it would have adequate
ventilation to run cool. :-)

Ralph in Sask.