[Farmall] Farmall H Tire Width

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 4 04:52:07 PDT 2011

A LOT of snow has been pushed over the years by owners of Farmall H
tractors. You don't need much power to push snow, unless it is very wet
and heavy (and then you will have other problems). The issue with using
any 2WD tractor in snow is traction - without chains, you are very
likely to find the tires spinning. And it doesn't hurt to have wheel
weights and/or liquid ballast in the tires. I know that those big ag
tires look as if they will conquer anything, but, when the ground is
frozen and you are working on packed snow/ice, they will spin like drag
slicks. :-( And regular "ladder" chains have a tendency to fall between
the lugs, which is why I recommend the "duo-link" chains. You can see
what "duo-link" chains look like in this image of my Ford
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/unicorn2.html>

The problem with a 6' blade is that it might not clear the tire track
when it is angled, and that is essential for a variety of reasons. For
several years, I plowed my whole two mile private lane, with several
steep hills, with a Farmall Cub and had no problem (other than it took a
LONG time and couldn't handle wet heavy snow - the front end would get
pushed to the side).
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/1955-cub-with-snow-blade.html>
.

Mike