[AT] Long Days Farming and exhaust thread

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Mon Oct 10 17:02:51 PDT 2011

Of the two current threads going on ATIS right now I have some comments as
an active farmer. All of the tractors we have that we use hard (so not
including the cultivating and pipe usage) that are pre 1995 do the fire type
exhaust on them. I myself have run without lights working ground at night
and red exhaust so many times I wcould not count them. When it is the most
exciting is with the Baler and its Wisconsin V4 gasoline engine (vintage
1984.) To see that running red exhaust and with the aircooled engine knowing
it is hot too while the nighttime air temperature is in the 50's is pretty
impressive and a small concern....
     As those reading my posts know I regularly work more than 16 hours a
day, although not as many "physical" hours as I used to thanks to the needs
of running the business part of farming and the farmers markets. Yesterday I
was feeling really good as I was plowing ranch 5 and that soil was looking
and smelling so delightful. We will be planting the property in Turnips,
Rutabagas, other root crops and Peas this week into next week for winter
production. Today will be an exception as I am only working 13.5 hours
today....
     There have been a batch of discussions in the New York Times and other
places about the lack of farm workers among the american people and how most
american vegetable and fruit employees are immigrants while other Americans
do not want to do the work. I know from experience this to be true, but few
even on the Ag side have noted the full range of reasons. One is that few
people have been taught the internal value of accomplishing things like
growing food! Also, the relentless pressures to produce for less and less
money - even for an organic farmer growing specialty crops like me it is an
issue. The pressure of ever increasing regulations and reporting that is
geared to the corporate organization is a major factor too. Some days you do
wonder if it is all worth it! But then you go out and taste the produce, run
your hands through the soil and think about the other option of sitting in
an air-conditioned office in an office building and commuting through the
endless traffic and somehow it seems very satisfying again.
           Grant Brians
           Hollister,California Vegetable, Fruit and Nuts farmer