[AT] in cab refrigerators?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 10 05:37:35 PDT 2011

I don't think the old timers were lying John.  I can tell you with my hand
on a bible that I've saddled up on an Allis Chalmers before daylight and
ridden it until after dark only stopping when it was time to pour more fuel
in the tank.  While daddy was doing that I'd wolf down a sandwich or two or
have a Pepsi and a pack of "square nabs".     I grew up with some kids who
came from a big family.  Their dad didn't own his land but was a share
cropper.  They had a Farmall  A and a Super A.  The A was worn completely
out.  When it was time to plow in the spring they would hit the field with 1
bottom 14" plows behind those Farmalls  and run them around the clock until
they finished.  The boys and the old man would work in shifts, the tractors
never stopped.

It's been nearly 50 years since my farming days.  I can still see in my mind
the blue and orange fire from the exhaust of the Allis as I made my way back
home in the dark after a long day of plowing.

Charlie