[Farmall] Farmall H Tire Width

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 3 14:36:48 PDT 2011

I use a rear mounted 7' three point blade on my Ford 860 (similar in
weight to the H), and I have (almost) no problem with the the blade
pushing the front end around. I wouldn't go much wider than 7', and 6'
might be too narrow when angled. As far as the rear tire spacing, I
would say that anything narrower than the angled blade width would be
fine. <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/fordcab2.html>

Based on my experience I would make two recommendations: use chains
(preferably the "duo link" type) on the rear tires and avoid waiting
until the snow is deep - once it starts going over the top of the blade,
you will waste a lot of time going over the same area. I should point
out that is hard for a three-point blade to "bulldoze" a wider path,
once you are done. So, if you are in an area that gets repeated snow
storms, make the path as wide as possible and try to keep it that way.
One year, we had half a dozen snow storms in succession, and the cartway
got narrower and narrower, until it was barely wider than the blade.

It is tempting to turn the blade around and plow backwards, and that
will work fairly well, but you will have a stiff neck for a week
afterwards (don't ask me how I know this).

(I now use a truck mounted plow to clear the private lane and no longer
have that problem.)

Mike