[AT] [atis] Re: Some Tractor Help Required

Stuart Harner stuart at harnerfarm.net
Sun Nov 27 11:31:39 PST 2011

Sta-Bil makes a "fogging" oil that can be used to spray a mist into the
cylinder.

I tried it on my lawn mower and pressure washer for the first time this
fall, don't know yet how effective it will be.

All oils will run down with gravity over time.  Another old trick is to mix
motor oil 50/50 with STP.  The theory is that it makes the viscosity thick
enough that it will not readily run off of the surface.  Some mechanics use
this mix as an assembly lube when putting an engine together, that way if it
is quite awhile before it gets started, they are assured to have at least
some lubrication still on the surface until oil pressure can build up.

I would think that on your engine, if you put several ounces of oil (3 or
4?) in the spark plug hole and spun the engine with the plugs still out,
when the piston gets to the top of the travel, there won't be much place for
the oil to go except to splash up and cover the piston and head, the rings
will then drag this back down the cylinder walls for full coverage.

We did this periodically on an old airplane engine that was stored for more
than 10 years and it was fine.  Pull the top plug, give 3 or 4 squirts from
an oil can and flip it over a few revolutions, put the plug back in.

Just my $0.02

Stuart