[AT] winter projects?

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 26 08:32:27 PST 2011

I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.  Here, in OK, we had a great
thanksgiving day and then yesterday it started turning colder for us,
now it is raining with 40mph winds, down from the normal 20mph winds.....

  I might suggest a way to determine the source of the fuel problem is
to get a good small engine fuel tank and hook up to your carburetor to
determine if the problem is in the tank.  Or make one out of a metal
gallon can if you can find one...  I have had spark plugs do this same
thing also.  I had a good friend who ran a golf course tell me that
Champion were the worst brand to use.  He said that Champion plugs would
last for less than 18 holes of golf while an NGK plug would wear out the
cart.   I changed my Gator plugs to Bosch from Champion and stopped the
"cold natured" problem.  I am going to try a hotter plug in my little
Clark forklift as It has to have new plugs every 60 days...   ( been
using Champion also)

I need to get the Generator from hell out of the barn so I can get some
work done while the weather is bad.  I overhauled this Hercules engine
and while it was torn down a Dirt Dauber built a nest in the intake
manifold.  The dirt got sucked into one cylinder and caused a rod to go
through a piston scar the bore and break a hole in the block.  I got the
block fixed, bored and sleeved the engine, now I need to get it outside
and pressure wash the cuttings out of the block.  It is still mounted in
the generator frame, so I will put it on the big forklift and raise it
up high enough to get the pressure washer underneath and wash the bottom
end out.  However the big forklift has the engine out waiting for a
transplant to a 6 cyl ford with a 2 spd torque convertor trans out of a
Bros Pneumatic roller.  It had a v-8flathead Mercury w/ a 4 spd trans.

I had to put batteries in my Ford powerstroke truck yesterday.
Batteries have really taken a jump in price.  $85 each at Sams Club, I
remember when I put the present batteries in that truck, they were only
$55 each.  But when I looked at thed ate on the batteries, they were 8
years old!!!   Guess they were pretty good ones at that.

Tires have really taken a jump in price in the last year,  I have to put
tires on the Belarus 825 4wd.   The front tires are almost as expensive
as the back.  I lost my tire supplier, and cannot find one that has a
decent price...  Truck tires have doubles within the last 18 months..  I
would sell a lot of the tractors I used to farm with before I bought my
cab tractors, but they won't bring much more than the set of tires that
are on them....  The tractor market has gone down and everything has
gone up......

This year we were bless with good prices for hay, and even though we are
in a drought, the rain just happened to fall to make a hay crop.  I sold
everything left from last year and this year's crop also.  I sold it too
cheap, but it went to an old friend who rents from me.  If I ever need
anything I just have to ask and he will help out...

If I were to say what I am thankful for, it is good friends here and on
the tractor list, my health, family, my toys and a place to play with
them, and the ability to figure out how to make it all work.

Hope you all had  a good thanksgiving weekend, and have a great holiday
season.

Cecil in OKla