[AT] winter projects?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 24 05:57:22 PST 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

John it looks like my winter project will be engine work on my D-14.  I'm
not sure where the problem is coming from yet but I've been getting water in
my oil.  LARGE volumes of water.  Either I've got an O-ring, head gasket,
casting plug type problem or it's rain water getting in through the muffler.
The tractor is currently stored outside and both water events have come
after big rains and after I changed mufflers on the tractor.  It's not
getting in through the top of the exhaust pipe, that has a rain cap on it.
I'm thinking it's somehow running in between the pipe and the manifold but I
don't see how that much can get it that way.  I didn't have antifreeze in
the engine so I can't tell from that if it's water from the cooling system.
It's a recent problem (during and since the hurricane) and I haven't run the
tractor much since then.  At this point I'm guessing because I haven't had
or taken time to figure it out.  What I'll do is put some dye in the coolant
water and see if that winds up in the oil pan.  If it does I know it's an
engine problem.  If not and it's clear water next time I'll know it's rain
water.  Meanwhile I've taken that muffler off and put something over the
manifold to prevent rain water from getting in while I'm not running it.  I
sure hope it's rain water.  That is an easy fix.

Other than that I've got all sorts of projects to work on,  getting the
garden plot ready,  replacing some bearings in my woods brush cutter gear
box, etc. etc.   I'm not sure how much of it will get done right away.

Charlie Hill