[Farmall] H Update

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 08:56:27 PST 2011

I agree with Darrell's conclusion.

Also, this might be a good time to convert the H over to a 12 volt
negative ground alternator - the cost of a good used generator might be
more than the cost of a small used single wire GM alternator and 12 volt
battery(plus coil ballast resistor and 12 volt lamps). There are kits
available to mount the alternator on the H without having to cut the
hood - I saw one advertised in the latest edition of "Red Power". You
can get a small GM alternator from an auto salvage yard (and have it
checked at many chain auto parts stores for free). The only
consideration is that you install the smallest pulley available - the H
doesn't turn fast enough to start the alternator charging with the
larger pulleys. You also have to reverse the coil and ammeter wiring,
but that takes only seconds.

Mike

On 11/23/2011 11:19 AM, Darrell Ratliff wrote:
> Carl, I suspect that once you re-charge the battery or fix your
> charging system the problem will go away.  You have probably operated
> the tractor long enough that the battery voltage is very weak and
> providing a very poor spark.
>
> From: szabelsk at gdls.com Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:04 AM

<snip>