[AT] Steam trains and tractors (kinda OT?)

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 18:05:07 PST 2011

My son's favorite locomotive is 4449, the GS-4 that's currently running.
When my Dad showed my son pictures of 4449 crossing their approach in MT
from 2009 when it went to the NRHS convention in MI, he really made
points... I grew up right along the old Great Northern line though steam
was LONG gone by the time I came along.

I'm partial to the articulated types but any of them are fine with me.
Steam is a labor of love these days. We make the trip to the Grand Canyon
Railway on the weekends they are running steam occasionally. The last time
we were there, we noticed (my 4 year old son pointed it out) they had added
a Shay. wow...what are they up to now?

When I was visiting MT this summer I visited a friend to get some parts for
my 1940 Case DH restoration (well, this time I picked up a Centennial plow
to go behind it, actually) we ended up behind a big crane pulling onto the
freeway. He remarked that it was surprising how much one of those cranes
could pick up. Turns out he helped them load that Shay out of the Memke
collection outside Great Falls.

Small world.

And my wife isn't complaining about old tractor guys (at least I don't
think so) since our first date included a trip to a tractor show. She knew
what she was getting into with me. Heck, it was only a few days after she
bought that John Deere B that I bought her a ring. :)

Ken in AZ