[AT] IH H4 Magneto-no spark

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon May 30 14:27:06 PDT 2011

Al, this is not a likely solution but more of a story to illustrate the need
to look for the not so obvious but easy solutions.  My only direct
experience with magnetos is my Fairbanks Morse ZC engine.  When I got it the
previous owner had knocked a hole in the corner of the mag cover and wired
an automotive coil into the mag so I figured the coil was shot.  Well I got
to looking around, then did some reading and some more looking and that is
when I stumbled on the problem.  There was a wire from the original F-M coil
to a lug on the side of the case.  The wire is for the kill switch.  Well it
just so happened that the insulation had rubbed off the wire and it was
going to ground on the inside of the mag case in such a way as to create a
permanent kill switch.  A new wire, or maybe I just taped up the old one and
some JB Weld to fix the mag cover and it's been firing ever since.

I guess my point is, examine everything closely.

Charlie