[AT] A vs. Super A engine internals To swap or not to swap

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Sat May 28 19:20:17 PDT 2011

Al,

You've probably said in an earlier post but if so I missed it - are you
installing an overhaul kit in your' 39/40 A; i.e., the 3-1/8" pistons, the
thin sleeves, etc?  Aren't the same kits sold for the A and SA?  If the
aftermarket Mains are the same for the A and SA Cranks I would suspect the
Cranks are interchangeable - most likely not the same since the part
numbers are different but interchangeable.  For example, the Camshafts in
the M/SM's and 400's are interchangeable but not the same (different part
numbers) - the 400 Camshaft is more aggressive than the M/SM and is highly
sought after by those overhauling SM's. I suspect the SA Crank is backward
compatible with the A but, while the A Crank might fit in the SA, you
might not want to do it as there may be some desirable feature in the SA
Crank that is not in the A Crank ... don't know for sure just rambling out
loud -

Dudley