[AT] atis bulletin board gone?

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Sat May 28 06:52:58 PDT 2011

FWIW, blu-ray is just another laser-powered recording format.  It's called "Blu-ray" because the laser is bluish -- higher frequency -- and can record (and play back) the material more compactly than the old lasers of a few years ago.  There is one-way compatibility between the systems.

To my way of thinking, great strides are being made in storage of non-rotating media.  I have stopped using recordable disks (CD's and DVD's) altogether because media such as thumb drives and SD cards (as in digital cameras) are so much faster and hold so much more.  Thumb drives up to 64 Gigabytes are readily available.  The physical limit for SD and SDHC cards is two Terabytes, and the physical size of them is always constant regardless of its storage.  Two Terabytes of material stored in a chip about the size of a postage stamp is an un-godly amount of stuff.  Excuse my French, but there just isn't a way to convey the amount of storage.  When you go from Kilo- to Mega- to Giga, to Tera each one is 1000 times as large as the previous unit.

I used to feel good about being able to compress all the Power King tractor literature I have been archiving into 7 full CD's.  Now I can fit that same material onto a single thumb drive or SD chip of just two Gigabytes, and I can transfer all of it to or from such a storage device in around five minutes -- no heat build-up, no moving parts, and only 3.1 volts DC required.

Larry