[AT] atis bulletin board gone?

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu May 26 09:35:13 PDT 2011

Spencer
I really appreciate the work you do for all of us.

However, I can post pictures and link to them,  or a you tube video if
necessary.  The old mail list is just much much simpler to use and it just
seems friendlier.  I might add that it has not been posted on for more than
14 days on the old tractor forum if I am accessing it right.

lable me a dinosaur, call me old, If a Studebaker had  airconditioning I
woul dbe driving one.

I had a 66 chevrolet pickup, 1/2 ton, it pulled anything I needed and got 14
to 16 mpg with a 283 and automatic.  I now have a 2002 /ford /f250  to pull
the same loads at the same speeds over better roads most of the time, and it
only gets 12 mpg.  I cannot comfortable ride 3 in the front seat, Where is
the benefit.  If I change spark plugs I have to schedule a day and have
another vehicle available in case I break of a spark plug in the hole
because there are only 2 threads holding one of the plugs.  It takes 8 coils
at $50 ea.  The brakes are no petter than the old chevy either.  And on a
long trip the old chevy was a lot more comfortable.  I also did not have to
jump up to get in the chevy.  I really have to say that the vehicle
manufacturers have not given us much more in the way of serviceability or
performance in the last 30 years.

Tractors are the same way.  My old Belarus tractors do the same job as my
$40K New Holland (used) for a lot less maintenance cost, and I am not afraid
the injection pump will crater again in the next 1000 hours, Or I have to
take it in to the dealer to get them to reset a computer for $500.  And
don't ask me about that air ride seat that will not hold up after only 1400
hours..  I have a sore tailbone from that one too... I can bale hay all day
long with my Belarus with no problems.  Every 2 hours I have to clean the
radiator screen on the New Holland or it gets hot.  Same thing with a 6420
JD that I used to bale with.  I cannot wait to get the old 2470 Case
outfitted with a Dozer Blade to see what it will do.....At least I can
service it.....

Most of this new technology has only made the equipment operators more
ignorant and the dealers and manufacturers more money.  Drivers text while
driving because the car is too comfortable to keep them awake and alert.
They are bored.  I grew up listening to the engine, not the radio.  I knew
when the combine was at its capacity by the sound of the grain as it went
over the seives..I listened to the cylinder and could tell if I needed to
slow down.  Don't get me wrong, I love my cabs on my tractors, I just only
need airconditioning, not all the other crap.

 With all of this digital junk, I now need a tv antenna with a rotator to
get my pbs channel. If there is a lot of clapping on a program it sets off a
pulsating sound that requires changing channels to get it to stop.  I am
only 4 miles from my cell phone antenna, but cannot get a call to last more
than 15 seconds most of the time. If the wind is blowing, figure on calling
3 times..  Tried over 5 different phones.  Another cell phone provider has
put a tower in only 1 mile away and screwed up the ssignal..  However they
will not let me use their service they tell me I am not in their sevice
area.

As I said most of the technology has only made the operators more ignorant
and the manufacturers more money.  Why did we need Vista if XP was working
fine.  Now we have to have Windows 7 because Vista was crap.  XP was fine,
why not stay with it?   There has to be a time when we say enough is enough.

I probably have a very dim view of all of this as my phone bill for land
lines that only work in dry weather is over $200/month.  My cell phone bill
is over $300/month and the service is intermittent and terrible, and I do
not use data services.  The problem is with my location on this earth, and
that will cost me a bundle to change.

Cecil in OKla