[AT] Portland show, 1998, and update

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue May 10 07:12:26 PDT 2011

I had previously posted an image of the ATIS "gang" at the above show,
supplied by Cecil Monson's widow Lucille, but it was cut off on the left
side. Now the mystery is solved, but it took a while, and there is a story.

Just before Lucille died, she told me that she was going to try to do a
better job of scanning in the photo, but it was in a frame behind glass.
When I heard she died, I figured that was the end of that. But a couple
of weeks ago, I got a note from her daughter Gail. It seemed that she
had taken over Lucille's real estate business and found the Email thread
on Lucille's PC. She found the picture in question and removed the photo
to send it to me. Yesterday, I opened the envelope and found that there
was another photo behind the one with Cecil in it - the other half of
the group, and complete with the names. This second picture was
obviously taken by someone other than the first picture - slightly
different grouping and different color/contrast. The only way I was able
to figure it out was that Richard Walker, Brice, and Spencer all
appeared in both pictures, wearing the same shirts!

In the first picture are:

Jim Smith, Brice Adams, Hank Wessel, Spencer Yost Arnie ferro, Rick
Monk, Herb Metz, George Willer, Ted Griffin, Down Bowen, Steve Barr,
Richard Walker, Dave Loghead, Steve White, Cecil Monson, Brett Rochette,
and Gene Waugh (plus a couple of guys that aren't identified.

In the second picture are:

Brice Adams, Andrew Lowry, Dave Ordos, Spencer Yost, Hank Wessel, Rick
Monk, Herb Metz, Dale Arnold, Ted Griffen, John Smith, "Farmer"
Robinson, Bob Seith, Jim Becker, Jeff Grodey, Dean Vinson, Steve
Offiler, Richard Walker, and a little bit of Dave Loghead.

Since I have the originals, I was able to scan them in at a better
resolution and post them on my Fotki album:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/cecil_monson_1930-2005/portland-1998-1-of-2.html>
and
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/cecil_monson_1930-2005/portland-2-of-2.html#media>

If anyone wants somewhat larger versions of either or both, drop me a
note at <mikesloane at verizon.net>

Gail wrote that she and her brother will be having an auction of most of
Cecil's tractors and machinery later this summer and did I want to know
about it. I am no longer looking for any more tractors (I sold my
hauling truck and trailer), but I will send a note when I find out more.
Cecil had several AC and JD tractors and a couple of JD crawlers, as
well as a Cub (that is not going to be auctioned off) and a bunch of
implements and other machinery. If anyone would like to communicate with
Gail, send me a note at the above Email ID.

Mike