[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel/Battleship NC

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Mon May 9 19:30:26 PDT 2011

Charlie,

Keep the USS NC's website checked.  They usually do the "Hidden Battleship" tour in the fall/winter.  They've added a "Firepower" program now that takes you through the operation of all the weapons systems on board.  The best part about it is it's not self guided. At least two people come along to explain what you're seeing.

My wife and I have done the tour twice. She and I did it, (she was the only woman in our group but she was a real good sport and was the "star" of our group, apparently she was the only one that would have been small enough to clean the boilers!) and then last year we took her dad on it.  It was expensive but as you say with the Biltmore, well worth it.

If I had any spare time I would love to volunteer at the ship. Again I have absolutely, positively no maritime or naval experience, but I'm awestruck evertime I am coming down 421 and first catch a glimpse of the ship.  Coming aboard is really something else.

Al