[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Sun May 8 10:00:44 PDT 2011

There is no conversion to the engines at all, only to the boilers & fuel
handling equipment that feed the boilers.  Steam is still steam, which is
what the engines - turbines - get.  Now, during the WW II era they switched
from 600 psi steam to 1200 psi superheated steam.

I didn't know they took equipment off the NC but am not surprised.  I don't
remember whether she had a 600 or 1200 psi plant but would not be surprised
if it is 1200 given the time of construction.  It is not unusual that such
machinery would have been "recycled" - it was extremely expensive when first
manufactured, specially designed & built for naval use by ship type, mostly
by GE.  They may have taken the reduction gears as well.  It is not the same
equipment as used in commercial ships.  Many mothballed & all scrapped ships
have had major equipment removed as part of demilitarization if for no other
reason.  In fact, such items - pumps, engines, gears, etc - were routinely
reused in new construction as older ships were taken out of service.  That
may not be the case anymore due to the use of gas turbines for main
propulsion.

I only got to visit the USS NC once, back about 1981.  I got to go down into
one of the engine rooms then.  At that time I could still have lit off the
engines - engine-room side, not boilers.  There is a lot more to getting a
steam-driven ship underway than lighting a fire in a boiler.  Best time I
ever heard of was 1 1/2 hours and that is in emergency conditions that
justify risking major damage to the power plant.

I hope they have managed to keep the NC in good shape.  I worry about her
every time there is a big storm through there.  At the time of my visit she
was in remarkably good condition and looked as if she could have been
manned, provisioned, and put to sea immediately.  It sounds as if their
marketing people are taking lessons from Biltmore House with the
behind-the-scenes tour.

Bill