[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sun May 8 07:20:04 PDT 2011

On 5/8/2011 8:56 AM, Bill Bruer wrote:
> Those points mean it can use lighter pumps in the
> boiler rooms and lighter equipment for underway replenishment.

I do remember Unreps.  I was on the Kearsage CVS33 in the late 60s as
part of the air crew.  I worked the check crew for the helicopters and
our station was just behind one of the weather decks used in Unreps so
we could watch the whole thing.  One incident was with an Australian tin
can.  They could only connect the forward hose and there were problems
doing that.  We were admiring the Aussies running around in shorts, tee
shirts and sandals when the hose connection broke.  The entire forward
section of the can, the deck crew, and many on the open bridge were
covered in thick black Fuel oil.  It was a mess.

Later in Pearl I fell in with some of the crew and they explained what
happened, the connector was a little off in size.  We all had a laugh
about the zeros getting their nice whites dirty then proceeded to
attempt to drink each other under the table.  I went early.  Later I was
invited onboard but we left for Japan before I could go.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU