[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Sat May 7 15:05:19 PDT 2011

Gene,
     I have not been in the fuel business for years, and having said
that, I have not seen any clear kero around here for some time.  I have
that red crap in my lamps for when the electricity goes off.  All I can
say is that it is pretty if you like red.
     I would have to win the lotto to buy a paper airplane.:-) But if I
do......am going to put out a contract on the SOB that makes us use ULS
diesel.  That crap is ruining the engines that were not designed for it,
which is most of the fleet yet.  My 3406C Cat does not like it unless I
mix some sort of oil with it.
     We have gotten ripped off big time with aviation gasoline.  100LL
has never been approved for any engine I know of.  It is just used as
that is all there is.  My Franklin in the Stinson was certified with
unleaded aviation gasoline.  I have no idea where that stuff might be
found.  An STC is supposed to be required to burn unleaded car gas.  I
might have to include the FAA on the contract.
     I doubt the diesel aircraft engines will work out in my time.  Too
expensive.  May as well go turbine.  The diesels will burn much less
fuel which would be a big plus.  My Franklin in the Stinson was
certified with unleaded aviation gasoline.
     I try to end the summer with 100LL in the tractors that won't be
used all winter.  I also use it in my John Deere E hit & miss engines.
Makes 'em smell different and pop loud.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA