[AT] Fuel Oil vs. Diesel Fuel

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat May 7 06:47:01 PDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 6:24 AM, Gene Dotson wrote:
>      I heat with fuel oil and have a small tank for diesel fuel for the
> tractors. Both oils are #2 diesel and come from the same tank and hose. Both
> are dyed for non tax purposes. Winter blend is blended with about 15% #1
> diesel, which is kerosene.
>
>      #5 oil is used in industrial boilers, railroad locomotives and large
> ships. #3 and 4 are mostly small industrial boilers, small ships and winter
> fuel for locomotives.

I've never heard of anything other than #2 and #1 diesel fuel. Memory
fails me which is which  but one is regular blend for tractor use in
summer time while the other is the lighter weight for furnaces and
winter use in diesel engines. Summer fuel will not work well (or at all)
in the middle of a Sask. winter. Same applies to furnaces and I have
even heard of the odd occasion of the fuel line to the furnace gelling
up in severe cold. Tanks were usually outside the house. Maybe somebody
dumped some summer diesel in their furnace tank by mistake sometimes.

Ralph in Sask.