[Steam-engine] MAWP VFT vs. Horizontal Firetube

Blake blake at little-mountain.com
Wed Mar 30 18:32:16 PDT 2011

The only difference I can see in making calculations between the two
is that the vertical boiler has no flat sheets other than the tube
sheets. The locomotive boiler has flat sheets that need to be
reinforced with staybolts, stayrods, or gussets. The flat sheets are
inherently weaker than rounded sheets.

Blake

Some of my sites
http://little-mountain.com