[AT] Video for a cold winter day

Paul Waugh paul at plwaugh.com
Tue Mar 8 16:04:58 PST 2011

The last sentence says it all

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
[mailto:at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Mike W
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:36 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] Video for a cold winter day

Ralph-

Frankly, I suspect folks "survived" much better back then.

Have to share my latest achievement-
My 1956 Oliver Super 55 Diesel tractor officially received a new lease on
life yesterday. I brought it home not running and took a chance when buying
it last Fall to see if I could give it a new life. It took me several months

to get 55 years of grunge off of it and locate shop/parts manuals and the
missing fuel injection lines and a filter the previous owner had elected to
tear out for reasons unknown. I'd started the diesel engine last month but
ran into a few fuel system issues ( leaks in the fuel tank and a damaged
primary fuel pump diaphragm ) so didn't have a chance to get it out of the
garage. Had a friend who is a diesel mechanic give the engine a clean bill
of health Sunday. The oil in the trans/differential was beyond nasty when I
checked it Sun afternoon...so after draining the water contaminated
milkshake like substance that was at one time oil, I tossed in 4 gallons of
diesel to rinse out the innards and decided yesterday was the day.

Went for a short ride up and down the street and it was able go forward,
backwards and run through each of it's 6 forward gears.... It even has some
brakes!
The front end shakes like an earth quake, the liquid in the rear tires makes

it sway and it dribbles oil from the front and back of the transmission, but

that's all fixable... in time.

It was a great day !