[AT] Talking about lights

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Mar 6 11:45:39 PST 2011

On 3/6/2011 9:42 AM, Dan Folske wrote:

> I don't mind the CFL's in the house but I tried a few different ones in my
> barn a couple of years ago and they weren't any good at all. In cold
> temperatures they took so long to light up that I had to just leave them on
> all night during calving and I didn't get any longer life out of them than I
> had been getting out of the old incandescent bulbs. I hope they get them to
> come on decently in cold temps before the old style are gone. Another option
> which might work but which I haven't yet seen at a reasonable price in the
> larger sizes are the LED's.
>
> Even in the house the CFL's weren't a perfect replacement. We had quite a
> few closed globe type fixtures. Even though the CFL's don't produce as much
> heat we found that when we put them in the globes they didn't last any
> longer than an incandescent. Finally tried them without the globes and
> haven't replaced one since.
>
> Dan Folske
People are pretty tired of winter here too Dan. I don't know for sure
where we stand on phasing out the incandescents but I am starting to
think maybe I should stock up on them while I can. My barn and sheds all
have them. I'm pretty sure flourescents would never start up here in
these winter temps.  I have a couple of the quartz/halogen lights in the
sheds , not sure where they fit in with the future of lighting.
Might have to get grandpa's coal oil lanterns out if all else fails.

Ralph in Sask.