[AT] Talking about shops/sheds

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Mar 5 18:26:02 PST 2011

On 3/5/2011 6:39 PM, Larry Goss wrote:
> T-12's are the flourescent bulbs that have been around since Day One -- 1 1/2 inches in diameter (around 36 mm).  They stopped making them in July 2010.  The newer T-8 bulb (1-inch or 25 mm in diameter) uses a lot less electricity (32 watts compared to 40) and actually puts out more light.  I think the bulb is "plug-compatible" but the ballast is designed differently.
>
> Larry

Well that is news to me. And not good news. Seems not that many years
ago that we replaced most of the incandescent light fixtures in the
house with flourescents. The four foot ones . They were supposed to be
more efficient than incandescents.
Latest I hear is that maybe incandescent bulbs are   being phased out in
favour of compact flourescent bulbs which are supposed to be even more
efficient.
Only problem is that they contain mercury and disposal of the used
compacts is now a problem.
Solve one problem and another one seems to replace it.

Ralph in Sask.