[AT] tires with tubes

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 23 09:03:29 PDT 2011

It's both funny and sad at the same time. Funny what people will use for an excuse to not do something. Sad in that when you needed something you weren't able to get it. Growing up in a small town and working in the service station I became used to working with tubes. Later I did a stint of 2nd job part time work (boys need money for they're toys!) at a service station in town here and every time a tube type tire came in during the evening/weekend hours it was left for me to do.

I tried to show the part-timers I worked with some tricks so they could do them but they had no interest in learning. It was easier to roll them off to the side and tell the customer to come back after my shift. Dad has an old manual tire changer and the spoons so I still do most of my own tire repairs on both vehicles and implements. Besides the satisfaction of doing things myself I cringe at the cost to have a repair shop fix a tire. Guess I'm cheap too.  :-)

Brad