[AT] non-reversible auto tires? OT

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 20 21:51:01 PDT 2011

Larry Goss wrote:
> OK.  What gives?  My brother bought a couple new tires for his car
> recently.  When I rode with him, they rumbled terribly.  When we
> stopped, I took a look and them and found they are mounted
> backwards!!!  Just outside the belt line are big raised letters that
> say "Do not run with this side out."  I have never noticed that
> message on any tires before.  They are Kelly radials.  What's going
> on? Are the tires built with asymmetrical plies or something?
>
> Larry

Yep,  Actually asymmetrical tread patterns.
They have to be mounted so they rotate the correct direction.
Usually only seen on high buck sports cars or on vehicles that need
specialized traction.
Most of those are even corner specific because they use different sizes F/R.

Running them the wrong way will damage them in short order. Hope he got
them turned around.

--
Steve W.