[Farmall] insider info.

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Mar 14 00:30:01 PDT 2011

On 3/13/2011 8:17 PM, john hall wrote:
> I can't remember who was studying the others tractor, but I remember seeing
> a book once where either IH had a John Deere H or Deere had a F-12. Of
> course that still goes on today. I've got all the old Remington and Mall
> chainsaw literature from where dad worked. While looking through it one day
> I found some Homelite and McCullough stuff----they never sold either, just
> gathering information to compete against them with.
>
> John

Y'all,

This reminds me of the IH dealer nearest us in Missouri about 53 years
ago.   He got word of Deere's coming switch from two to four and six
cylinders way before it happened.  This gave him thus a good while to
gloat and test those that owned a two-banger or were leaning that way.
He'd tell them that after decades of chanting that lower engine speeds +
fewer cylinders and moving parts = more reliability, longer life and
fewer replacement parts, JD was getting ready to switch to the same
basic engine designs they had long vilified as inferior.  Some of his
hearers were doubtful that Deere would ever make such a switch.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas