[Farmall] insider info.

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 12:36:21 PDT 2011

I imagine every major manufacturer is always spying to see what the competition is up to. Last night I found out to what extreme IH went to against John Deere. While sorting through a bunch of literature left over from the IH dealer dad retired from, we found a "training" manual for salesmen. I briefly looked at it and found some memos IH had sent to dealers in the mid/late 70's. The first was about a price increase Deere was having on combines and corn headers. Included in the memo was Deere's dealer pricing. I found another for tractors that showed pricing, but with it broken down into $ per hp. Also there was a note about Deere increasing rear axle size. I couldn't help but laugh at this one. IH pointed out that their axles were still bigger---a gigantic 1/16 of an inch.

John Hall