[Ford-ferguson] steering gear box

William Laughlin i3646bill at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 20:07:56 PST 2011

--- On Mon, 3/7/11, russgman at aol.com <russgman at aol.com> wrote:

From: russgman at aol.com <russgman at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Ford-ferguson] steering gear box
To: ford-ferguson at lists.antique-tractor.com
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 9:11 PM
ON MY 41 I PUT  A GREASE FITTING ON THE LOWER HOUSING AND PUMP IT FULL OF GREASE TILL IT COMES OUT THE STEERING POST
.

I was wondering what the current wisedom was on re-filling the steering box.  I started out replacing the timing gear and while I had the front off I got crazy and started looking at things which were not easily accessable before.  Long story short I (finally) got the steering wheel off and pulled the steering box assembly off and apart.  The box was dry and the upper and lower thrush bearings and steering column bearings were in poor condition.  I have replaced them but none of the bushings etc as the box was actually working fine before I tore into it and internet wisedom seems to feel like the best thing to do is not refill with 90W oil.

I think ford had a service bulletin about this in the 1950's.  The main answer I seem to see is to use a soft, fluid grease such as John Deere's Corn Head grease.  I've also been told to use STP oil treatment, or 90W gear oil with regular grease mixed in to thicken it up.  I plan to fill it up, finalize the assembly and then use a grease gun to top off the entire assembly via a new grease fitting on the filler bolt.  Most folks say to just pump till it fills the steering column tube and runs out the top.  Is this just out of convience sake (can't get that durn steering wheel off) or is it to make sure and have some sort of lube on the steering wheel bearing which sits at the very top of the steering tube right under the steering wheel.  That bearing assembly has a felt ring at the bottom and there is a felt dust cover which tops off the entire deal.  Doesn't seem to me to be a good idea to goo those up with grease.  Should I mostly fill the tube
 and then use ________ to lubr!
icate the steering wheel bearing?  Or am I just too caught up in the details?

Paint next??????

Russ
1950 Redbelly
8N313200