[AT] Flax Harvest

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Mar 2 16:20:44 PST 2011

On 3/2/2011 5:30 PM, charlie hill wrote:
> good video.  That IH pickup was a top of the line pickup in it's day!  As
> your dad was pushing that flax around and not ever having actually seen any
> flax I was thinking, I bet that would make one heck of a fire and about that
> time it got to the fire scene.  The old Cockshutt sounded good.  It sounded
> almost like it was a hydrostatic drive with the whining sound.  Of course I
> know it wasn't.   It still amazes me that you can cut crops and let them lay
> on the ground for even days let alone weeks or months and have something
> left to combine when you go back.  Around here the grain would sprout, rot
> or mold before you ever got it up.
>
> Charlie
Charlie, that is the characteristic Cockshutt gear whine you are
hearing. As far as I know they all did it. Some could be heard for miles
away, no engine sound, just the gear whine.
Don't get me wrong, some years we will have problems with swaths
sprouting if there is a lot of rain followed by heat . Any place the
tractor has driven on the swath will just make it worse. Flax is pretty
resilient as it sits up high in the stubble and wont' flatten out no
matter how much rain falls on it.
That old 50 and the B110 IH truck are both in my shed waiting for warmer
weather to run.

Ralph in Sask.