[AT] Now smoldering peat

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:19:05 PDT 2011

As for the money.   If there is any money to be made from this stuff no one
around here seems to know it.  I've often wondered why no one tries.   A few
years ago they built a strip shopping center with a Food Lion and 3 or 4
smaller stores and a parking lot of about 10 acres on a piece of this peat
land that had never been used for anything but holding the world together as
far as I know.   The cut out 5 or 6 feet of peat.  They paid to haul some of
it off and gave away as much as they could in dump truck loads.  Just show
up with any size dump truck and they would load you up for free.  Then they
hauled thousands of cubic yards of sand in to fill the hole and create a pad
solid enough to put the stores and parking lot on.   There are thousands and
thousands of acres of the stuff in coastal NC all the way from VA and down
into SC.   There are places where the stuff is decayed enough that it has
been turned into farm land and places where tree farms have been
established.

Charlie