[AT] Now smoldering peat

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 29 17:29:25 PDT 2011

  "I'm about ready to do a hurricane dance and hope it puts  out that
damned 30,000 acres of smoldering peat".

Charlie; what is the origin of the peat.
Decades ago we lived half hour NE of Rock Island, IL.  Near us was a big
"U" shape (approx half mile wide and 20 miles long) in the Mississippi
River that got cut off and isolated during a flood.  This eventually dried
and became great farm land; one of the always present concerns was the
ground (decomposed trees, etc) catching on fire. Last time we visited it
was all being bagged and sold for big money