[AT] Was AT Digest, Vol 88, Issue 17, Now 6 to 12 Volt

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Jun 27 14:57:36 PDT 2011

On 6/27/2011 11:28 AM, John Slavin wrote:
> Dean:  My 450 had 12 positive ground system from the factory, I assume.  At least it's always been that way from the time my dad bought it in 1958 when it was 6 months old.  Given the similarity between the 450 and the super M, would it have been possible that someone swapped out some parts from a 450 to your Super M?  Are there part numbers on your generator?
>
> John Slavin
John,

You bring up an interesting question.  Namely, what year did most US
tractors switch from 6 to 12 Volt?  Was it 1958?  I remember British
cars were first to have 12 volt, but soon US cars and then tractors
adopted it too.  My cousin bought a Hillman-Minx (almost as cheap and
cute as unreliable) in the 50s before the US had 12 volt.  The rumor
then was that a law had been passed in London that required parking
lights to remain lit when cars were parked overnight on the street
forcing the Brits to switch to 12 volt.  That may have been a crock but
was widely swallowed.

Also wonder if there are any similar switches to a higher voltage in the
works.  Perhaps that will come when we get electric cars.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas