[AT] Ferguson TO-20 with "live PTO"????

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Fri Jun 3 10:38:36 PDT 2011

Farmer,

I have not seen one but I do have a picture and a half page writeup of one
in front of me.

The writeup (which does not indicate the manufacture) states the "unit
doubles the number of forward and reverse gears and maintains the PTO live
when the drive to the tractor wheels is disengaged."

I'll just paraphrase from here on - The unit is installed as an extra
gearbox between the normal gearbox and rear end.  This is where the Howard
Rotovator gear fits except this unit is not in the rear end (like the
Howard) but rather is installed external to both the normal gearbox and
rear end- thus it increases the tractor length by 4.75 inches.

The unit has two control levers on the left side.  One lever acts as a
hand clutch which disengages the rear wheels (no effect on the PTO) and
the other acts like the lever on the Howard Gear; that is, it controls a
two speed gearbox giving a choice between "straight through" or low speed.
Note:  Pushing the tractor clutch in does disengage everything.

I would love to see one of these in person - in addition to the live PTO
it gives the low speed gear set (like the Howard) but, unlike the Howard,
you can actually use the low speed gear set under load -

Dudley