[AT] Salvage yard listing

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jun 1 05:37:13 PDT 2011

While I was replying to a question about salvage yards on another list
(Farmall_Tractors at yahoogroups.com), I checked out the ATIS salvage yard
listing that I always recommend to folks who are new to older machines.
While the listing is great, it appears that it is a little out of date.
I wonder if some of the folks who have a little spare time on their
hands would want to take on the task of bringing it up to date? Most of
the bigger yards now have websites and/or Email these days, but I also
suspect that some of the operations gone by the wayside as their real
estate was gobbled up by suburban developers. There are yards that
advertise in the old tractor magazines, like Red Power, 9N-2N-8N-NAA
Newsletter, etc. that don't show up on the list. For example, I looked
for one of my favorites, Biewer's Tractor Salvage in MN
<http://www.salvagetractors.com/> and didn't find it. I suspect that
there may be others.

Maybe an "ad hoc" committee could divide up the list and come up with
some changes to send to Spencer some time in the next several months.

We might also want to create a listing of really great aftermarket
suppliers of parts, decals, documentation, etc. I have been very
disappointed at the quality of the stuff coming from Valu-Bilt and
Tractor Supply lately - too much inferior Asian stuff that don't hold up
or fit properly. But there are some really great suppliers out there,
and they deserve our business and support. For instance, in my Farmall
Cub restorations, I deal with TM Tractor Parts
<http://www.tmtractor.com/index.htm> whose parts are almost all "Made in
USA" and are an excellent value. I know that there are other equally
great parts suppliers for all the other makes and models out there.

I am not, by the way, offering to organize these efforts - that isn't
something I enjoy or do well at. I am just throwing ideas out for
consideration.

Mike