[AT] [Farmall] Engine Overheating

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 26 14:45:15 PDT 2011

There are a LOT of reasons for a thermosyphon equipped engine to run
hot, not just crud in the block:

  - Timing too far advanced
  - Cracked/warped head
  - Blown head gasket
  - Loose fan belt
  - Clogged radiator tubes
  - Clogged radiator fins
  - Collapsed lower hose
  - etc.

Take a look at the spark plugs - on an inline 4 cylinder engine, No. 4
is usually the one that gets the hottest, especially when there is crud
in the cooling system. If all the plugs look about the same, your
problem may not be with crud. If you can borrow or find an infrared
thermometer, that is something that is very handy for checking block
temperatures. They used to be expensive, but I was able to pick one up
for about $25 recently. They are also handy for checking the temperature
of ignition coils, radiators, coolant temperature, hydraulic reservoirs,
etc.
<http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html> and
<http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html>
are two examples, but I am sure you can find others.

Once you have eliminated all of the above, you can try various cooling
system cleaner/flush products, although I am told that the current
formulations are all but useless due to concerns about "product safety".
The old stuff was mostly lye (I believe). There may be better compounds
that only radiator, coil cleaning, engine rebuilders, and similar shops
can buy.

There is one thing you can do before hauling the block down to the shop
for "boiling out": you can remove all of the expansion plugs (also
called "core" plugs), dig as much crud out as possible with whatever
tools will fit, and then force air and/or water through those holes. The
plugs are easy enough to remove with an awl or ice pick, and getting new
ones back in isn't difficult (I use a socket turned backwards with a 6"
extension, and tap them with a hammer, but I have seen some mechanics
just set them with a ball peen hammer). Core plugs are cheap and come in
standard sizes, so replacing them is not only inexpensive but a good
idea on any old engine.

Here is an image of my Ford block with the plugs removed. I was taking
the engine out anyway to have it worked on.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/2n_overhaul_4_4_05_08.html>

Mike