[AT] [Farmall] Engine Overheating

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jul 27 05:47:04 PDT 2011

Ben,  generally a small crack between the cyl. won't cause that problem but
it's possible.  Start with the simple things first.  Make sure the radiator
and hoses are good.  Make sure the fan belt isn't slipping, etc.  With the
tractor not running grab the fan by one of the blades and see if you can
easily turn it.  If so your belt isn't tight enough or the belt or pulley is
worn out.   Without a timing light here is what to look for on your timing.
With the distributor bolt loose just enough that you can turn the
distributor and the engine running at high idle the distributor slowly in
each direction.  If you turn it far enough one way engine will start to run
poorly and stumble a little.  If you turn it far enough the other way the
exhaust note will start to go from mellow to more of a BLATT sound.  If you
are to near that BLAT sound it'll run hot.  Somewhere about mid way between
the two is right.  That is just a down and dirty, get by in a jam way to
tell.  Best to get a timing light and do it correctly.

Charlie