[Farmall] Engine Overheating

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Jul 26 13:37:50 PDT 2011

First possibility is partial blockage of the radiator from crud settling
in the bottom or plugging the tubes (some or all).

Second would be crud in the radiator hoses.

Third could be crud in the block itself.

Fourth could be a head gasket where exhaust is getting into the coolant.
What you think is overheating is actually the exhaust pushing the coolant
out of the radiator. Also makes the coolant hotter as well.

If you remove the lower radiator hose you should be able to check for crud
in the bottom of the radiator with a homemade bendable scoop of some kind,
or a turkey baster with an extension hose.

On the block, unbolt the gooseneck and you should be able to get somewhat
of a look into the block. (When I did this on my Cub, I found what looked
like two pieces of welding rod in the opening.)

For cleaning the radiator, you can try flushing with plain water (garden
hose). Remove the drain plug for the radiator and the lower radiator hose
to get as much unrestricted flow as possible. Let it run into a tub or
large bucket so you can see what comes out.

For cleaning the block disconnect the upper hose from the radiator and
push the hose into it. With the gooseneck removed, you should get a good
flow. Again, try to catch it in a tub or large bucket and see what's
coming out.

If there is any crud, and if it's been there for some time, it could be
pretty solid and might take some doing to get it all out.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.