[AT] Hydraulic tank leak

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Jul 23 17:33:39 PDT 2011

Carl Gogol wrote:
> I have a small leak at a welded seam (would you believe on the
> bottom?) of a 10 gallon rectangular hydraulic reservoir.  It is a
> small leak and seems to be a defect in the seam weld.  By small I
> mean maybe a shot glass worth over a week or so, Just enough to keep
> the floor looking junky.
>
> Anyone got a simple idea of how to plug it without getting crazy and
> draining and cleaning and brazing or welding.  I noticed there was a
> bottle of hydraulic leak stop product at TSC (tractor supply) but do
> not have a real desire to put any of their magic into good Case IH
> Ankcella hytran oil – or just do it and not worry about it?  How
> about some of the magic plumbers tape? – not having any good ideas
> of how to wrap at an edge.  Any other ideas?  Bondo?  – drill a
> small screw with a rubber washer into the hole? Carl Manlius, NY

Does this tank see any pressure?

If not you could probably clean the area real well with a solvent
(Acetone/MEK) rough it up some and apply some tank repair epoxy over it.
Your local auto parts place will have the kits with the epoxy,
directions and hints. I have used them a bunch to repair fuel tanks, oil
pans, differential covers and even radiators. They work well, don't
require that you drop the fluids (the kit usually has something that you
rub over the leaks to temporarily stop the leak so you can clean and
repair it)

Syon/Versachem  002-90170 - oil pans and metal hydraulic tanks

Syon/Versachem  002-90180 - gas tanks

It's a permanent repair as well as long as the metal under it lasts.

--
Steve W.