[AT] Okay, it's not Portland, but still a good day

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Fri Jul 22 13:41:35 PDT 2011

Today was the day for the annual company picnic, and it was everything a
summer company picnic ought to be:  Mostly a goof-off afternoon, lots of
tasty artery-clogging food, blissfully few speeches by the boss, blazing
heat.

One of the recurring events at the picnic is an all-comers cruise-in, where
people from the various shops and departments show whatever vehicle they
want to display.  An old Studebaker, couple of new Mustangs, '57 Willys
jeep, 2007 Mercedes-Benz Crossover, big old beautifully restored Plymouth,
gorgeous mid-50s Chevy pickup, etc.  Last year I admired the pickup and
thought my faithful Super M would look good next to it, so this year I drove
the tractor to work (about 12 miles, 45 minutes) and parked it next to the
pickup at the cruise-in.

http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/annual_picnic_cruise-in.jpg

I told the show organizers I didn't want the tractor to compete in the
popularity judging, just wanted to display it with the other old vehicles,
but they decided if the show can include a 57 jeep and a 2007 Mercedes it
probably has room for an old tractor.  So I cleaned up:  First prize in both
the "People's Choice" and "Ladies' Choice" categories.  I was embarrassed,
but eventually decided that I've been waiting 50 years to be the Ladies'
Choice in something so I might as well take what I can get.  :)

http://www.vinsonfarm.net/photos/annual_picnic_cruise-in_trophies.jpg

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net