[Farmall] Super A engine jams when hand cranking

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 05:05:06 PDT 2011

Al, good thinking on checking the starter. I would  pull the plugs and see
if the engine will turn over then. It is possible you pulled in so much fuel
(carb acting up) you have locked it that way--careful you don't roll it over
with the plugs out and a bunch of gas comes out one of the cylinders about
the time than mag impulses. You may also have a coolant leak that has caused
the engine to lock---probably more likely than gas. If that is not it then
pull the valve cover and check for a stuck valve. Since you have not had it
running, one may have been stuck and by turning it over you have bent a
pushrod or broke a rocker arm and are now causing something to bind up.
Another thought is the crank itself. Super A's are pretty simple so there
shouldn't be anything there that could bind up like on the Farmalls and F
series that used a drive shaft with u-joints. One other thought if
everything else checks OK--pull the clutch inspection cover and make sure
something strange isn't going on there--I'm thinking fork demolished or
shaft broke, something that would have caused the PO to park the tractor. If
all this checks OK, consider the timing gears and hydraulic pump. Only ran
into one Super A  that had a problem with them---It took out every gear and
snapped the pump shaft. Should this be the problem, get EVERY gear out of
the same junk engine or you will have a lot of gear noise.

 My first guess is a bad coolant leak, second guess would be valve issues.

John Hall
.