[AT] Super A engine jams when hand cranking

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 22:48:28 PDT 2011

Had some time to work on "Ol Whitey," my white demo Super A yesterday...finally got the mag hot, (long story) and decided it was time to try to start it. Rigged up a pony gas tank, and after a few pulls of the crank, it did "hit" a time or two, which got my hopes way up. After a couple more trys, it suddenly became impossible to turn the engine with the crank. I was able to turn the engine backward by pulling on the fan blades, and it released and seemed ok but after a couple more trys it did it again, and I couldn't get it to turn loose. So I decided to call it a night.

I've hand cranked this engine a number of times and it has never shown any problem like this.

Any ideas what's binding it? I pulled the starter off just to make sure it wasn't jamming the flywheel (although I don't see why it would since I was hand cranking it.) No change. Though I have been around Super A's all my life, I'm not much of a mechanic, but my notion is there's an issue in the timing gears. Of course, those "hoofbeats I hear may not be zebras." In other words, it may not be that exotic of a problem. What else should I look for? I had high hopes of being able to hear it run before I did more extensive engine work, but that possibility appears to be fading fast...

Al