[AT] Pluck chickens with a clothes dryer?

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 05:21:06 PDT 2011

Good correction for me there, Mark, on the original breed cross.  The
Cornish Cross can put on the meat, but the downside is the heart attacks and
lameness.  I use a chain link dog kennel as a coop, with chicken wire
wrapped around it to make the holes smaller.  As a result,  I can drag the
coop in different places, giving the birds a fresh forage each day.  That
dramatically cuts down lameness, since the forage has the nutrients and the
birds are forced to exercise for a few yards each day.  If you know the
Cornish Cross, the forced exercise is about all they get beyond trips
between feed, water, and shelter.

I also found that using higher quality feeds gives the same result.  Sunrise
Feeds, milled 45 minutes down the road from me in Stuarts Draft VA, makes a
good broiler feed.  I doubt if its available outside of the Shenandoah
Valley.

Ben Wagner