[AT] Pluck chickens with a clothes dryer?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jul 13 12:38:27 PDT 2011

On 7/13/2011 9:52 AM, Ben Wagner wrote:
> The plucker I saw still needs the feathers to be scalded.  I think ducks are
> dry plucked, and maybe geese too, but I'm not for sure.
>
> The process you mentioned is exactly the way I still process my chickens,
> except that I use a plate of alcohol to singe the pin feathers.

My Sil raises and butchers chickens and has the automated chicken
plucker. It works well and fast, far quicker than the old hand method of
plucking feathers that I used to do as a kid helping out on the farm.
Yes, the new type plucker still requires scalding the chickens to loosen
the feathers. They the rubber fingers on the rotating drum just tear the
feathers off.
I only raise Bantams now and have never tried butchering them as they
are so small.. Anybody need some free Bantam roosters??

Ralph in Sask.