[AT] Pluck chickens with a clothes dryer?

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 05:23:12 PDT 2011

I know a person who made a washer into a plucker.  The key to the whole show
is putting little fingers, in the case I know short bolts capped with 1 1/2
inch rubber tips, into the sides of the washer. I have heard tell of a
horizontal plucker, but I think it would be logical for the dryer or washer
to be vertical.

To use the machine, you drop in the chicken and keep the whole process
drenched with water from a hose.  If you have enough of the little fingers,
the chicken is picked clean in 30 seconds.  If you don't have enough
fingers, the chicken will lose wings and legs by getting caught between the
edges.  The only thing left is to make sure the pinfeathers are all out.

I have also read about a homemade plucker using a 50 gal barrel.  I do
around 15 to 20 chickens each fall for meat, so a plucker would come in
handy.

Ben Wagner