[AT] OT - Shocking a well

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 04:52:45 PDT 2011

The Company where I worked for many years was in an area of high
sulfur in the well water. Iron was not an issue.  Not only was the
rotten egg smell terrible, the sulfur would turn copper plumbing black
and destroy it in a few years.  For many years, bottled water was
purchased for consumption.  When new owners came on board, it was
decided the bottled spring water cost too much and a filtration system
was installed similar to what Will describes but perhaps on a larger
scale. Actually I think that was the second try.  The first system
that used salt did not work out very well.  If potassium permanganate
comes in contact with human skin, it will stain it a grape juice
purple.

It is my understanding that high sulfur contend and high Coliform
bacteria  level go hand in hand.  The sulfur is a protein which serves
as a food source for the bacteria and thereby promotes the bacterial
growth.

Charlie V.